Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) has completed a draft version of the Wisconsin Rail Plan 2050 and is available for review and comment until February 26, 2023.
Washington County has been monitoring the Milwaukee to Green Bay intercity rail initiative and the planning process for the Wisconsin Rail Plan 2050. Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) has completed a draft version of the Wisconsin Rail Plan 2050 and is available for review and comment until February 26, 2023. We encourage your community to review the draft plan and provide WisDOT with comments. The Plan is available for download at www.wisdotplans.gov/plan/wrp2050 .
The Wisconsin Rail Plan 2050 provides state-level recommendations for rail transportation that includes, but is not limited to, freight and passenger rail. Maps and figures pertaining to potential expansion of routes are not definite as route expansions would require “route alternatives analyses as part of environmental and preliminary engineering studies”. Figure 5-6: Wisconsin 2050 Potential Intercity Passenger Rail System shows the potential routes of expansion for intercity passenger rail and potential and existing stations throughout Wisconsin. In Washington County the potential expansion of intercity rail is recommended as a Medium-Term Time Horizon (2027-2037) through the Germantown, Richfield, Polk, Slinger, Allenton, and Wayne. There is a potential rail station located in Allenton labeled as West Bend on Figure 5-6. As stated, the determination of routes and stations would require further analysis, studies, and plans before any implementation occurs.
After reviewing the draft plan, the County Community Development Department will be submitting the following comments to WisDOT prior to February 26, 2023:
- Future rail corridors should utilize existing rail line routes and tracks
- Future rail corridors should not utilize the Eisenbahn State Trail alignment
- Based on proposed alignment through Washington County, there should be a designated rail station stop in Washington County
- Future proposed routes and rail stations should have the support of Washington County, local municipalities and businesses
- Figure 5-6 identifies West Bend as a potential rail station but based on the rail alignment, a more accurate description would be “Allenton” if the rail station remains in this location
- Local municipalities should have input into rail station selection