EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY the Park & Recreation Department is no longer able to process Work Permits for Minor.
The Department of Workforce Development's Equal Rights Division has developed a new online work permit application tool. The Division carefully considered the lessons of the past few years, when pandemic restrictions made it nearly impossible for some minors to obtain work permits and decided to pursue an online application that would be available to the parents of minors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from any computer, tablet, smartphone, or similar device. The application improves accessibility for minors who live in rural or underserved areas and eliminates the difficult logistics involved in working parents having to take off work to make a trip to a work permit office.
The application is live now. A parent can access the site using these instructions. (See Below) Payment is made directly to the department through the application, using a credit or debit card or by ACH direct withdrawal. Once the permit application process is complete, the Department mails a paper copy of the permit directly to the employer.
Requirements for employment of minors
- A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work.
- Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.
- 16- and 17-year-old minors do NOT need to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work. Work permits will not be issued for minors ages 16 or 17.
- State law prohibits the use of minors to perform hazardous work. Prohibited employment provisions still apply to work that 16- and 17-year-old minors can be employed to perform.
Obtain a work permit (Parent/Guardian)
Parents and guardians may obtain a work permit by following the instructions below. Note that parents and guardians are required to pay the work permit application fee at the time of purchase. After the payment has processed the parent or guardian will receive an email confirmation and the permit will be printed and mailed directly to the employer.
- Create a DWD ID
- If you already have a DWD ID, you do not need to create a new ID.
- Enter Information about the minor applying for the work permit and their:
- Pay for minor's work permit. We accept:
- Credit or debit (not currently available on Apple devices)
- Checking or savings account
Do you have DWD ID and know how to create a permit?
Yes, login to create a work permit No, help me create a work permit
For the employer - permit fee requirement
The employer must reimburse the $10.00 permit fee to the minor by no later than the date of the first paycheck. A copy of the permit will be mailed to the employer.
For more information