THE CHRIST EVANGELICAL CHURCH
W188N12808 Fond du Lac Avenue
Christ Evangelical Church was founded by German immigrants in 1844. One of the oldest congregations in Germantown, their earliest religious gatherings were held at a log schoolhouse west of the present church. In the early 1850s Philip Dhein Jr. donated one & one quarter acres of land to the congregation to build a log church. It was replaced in 1862 with the present church that is built of limestone from the nearby Rockfield quarry. The bell tower was added in 1888 & the bells installed in 1890. In 1914 the stained glass windows were donated by the Ladies Aid with money raised by selling chicken dinners on Sunday. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The church received Germantown Historic Designation in 2010