- Boards, Commissions & Committees
- Park & Recreation Commission
Park & Recreation Commission
Dates and times are subject to change. See the Village Calendar for the most up to date information.
- 5:30 p.m.
- Third Wednesday of every month
- Village Hall
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Village Code 1.33 Park and Recreation Commission.
(1) Membership. The Park and Recreation Commission shall consist of 7 members. The Village Board shall appoint of its members to the Commission. The Director shall serve as an ex-officio nonvoting member. The Board shall appoint the other members as follows: a Chairperson; one from the Germantown School Board designated by the Board to represent the District for a period of one year commending May 1 of one year and expiring on April 30 of the following year, subject to Village Board approval; and 4 members who are residents of the Village. All appointments, as required, shall be made at the organizational meeting in April by the Village President, subject to confirmation by the Village Board. Except for the Village Trustee and the School Board Representative who are appointed annually, all appointments shall be for a 3 year term. In the event of a vacancy, the Village Board shall appoint a member for the unexpired term.If the vacancy is a school district representative, the representative's school board shall appoint a replacement for the unexpired term, subject to Village Board approval. A vacancy shall occur upon the death of a member, moving out of the Village, any verbal or written resignation or 3 consecutive unexcused absences. The Chairperson of the Commission shall notify the Village Board, school district, or both, when a vacancy occurs.
(2) Powers and Duties. The Commission shall periodically review the Village Outdoor Recreation Plan and make recommendations to the Village Board relating to the acquisition and development of Village parks and recreational facilities, recommend to the Village Board the application of State and Federal grant programs, recommend to the Village Board police procedures and fees pertaining to Village park and recreational facilities, establish policies with the cooperation of the Public Works Department relating to the maintenance and operation of Village park and recreational facilities, and make recommendations to the Village Board relating to the Village tree planing policy and, with the cooperation of the Public Works Department, carry out said policy. The Commission shall have the general supervision of recreation in the Village and shall operate and maintain all community recreation centers, playgrounds, or other areas which shall be assigned to it by the Village Board. The Commission shall recommend to the Village Board the policies and procedures for management of all such places of recreation. The Commission shall generally direct the activities of the Director of Parks and Recreation for the Village and, with the approval of the Village Administrator, may hire employees it deems necessary to carry out its responsibilities. It is the intent of the Village Board that the Commission promote recreation in its broadest aspects and toward this end shall cooperate with existing recreational programs under the auspices of school or semi-public groups within the Village.